Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Montjuïc

The view from Montjuïc, or so I have just discovered, after pointing this clumsy mountain bike unsuspectingly up an inviting hill this afternoon. The Olympic stadium from the 1992 games is built here, and a funicular connects the hill to the rest of the Olympic village on the shoreline, down below. There are gardens and museums on the hill as well, but I was mostly interested in the city views, like this one behind me, the city center from the southwest with the ocean out of the picture to the right.
Here it is between these trees.


And here is the imposing castle at the very top of the hill, constructed, I was told by the taciturn guard, in the 16th century. It now serves as an armaments museum. Chillingly, it was used as a political prison up to the Franco era.


And now I'm starting to sound like a guidebook so I'll leave you for the night with a shot of my street.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, but to be on a bicycle in Spain...

Sounds like the beginning of a 50's era romance with Cary Grant and that chick from My Fair Lady. What was her name again? No wait, I think I'm thinking of "Roman Holiday", which wasn't in Spain at all... urrr... Ok, I'm a computer geek, not a film buff, but you get my point, don't you?

Meliss, I'm delighted you're having such a great time of it in Espana. Joy sent me the link to your blog, and I'm very much enjoying living vicariously through you. Thanks for the updates and the pictures.

Isani

5:32 PM  
Blogger m.j. said...

Hi Isani! I'm the worst at film trivia, so can't help you out on that one, but so glad you're enjoying the blog.
Besos,
M

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home